What is not measured, is not improved.
If you wish to optimize your print on demand (POD) retailer, finding out the info of different shops can positively assist.
And at the moment, now we have a listing of 32 print on demand statistics for you!
To seek out these statistics, we crawled 200k+ print on demand shops on September 28, 2023 – and analyzed the info on their put in apps, area of interest, web site rankings, and rather more!
Let’s dive proper in.
6 Key Print on Demand Statistics in 2023 (Editor’s Picks)
Listed below are the six most important and thrilling print on demand statistics!
Disclaimer: Attributable to minor imperfections of the crawling system, please know that we will not assure 100% accuracy of the info and, thus, the statistics we discovered. Nonetheless, we’re assured that these statistics intently characterize actuality as a result of great amount of knowledge captured.
1. Two-thirds of print on demand shops use Printful
- The important thing takeaway: Printful is the preferred print on demand provider.
Have you ever heard of Printful?
If you have not, you are about to.
A whopping 67.6% (sure, you learn that proper!) of all print on demand shops use Printful as their provider.
Why is that?
Effectively, maybe it is their user-friendly interface, or possibly their huge vary of merchandise, or it might even be their stellar customer support.
Probably, it is a mixture of all (and extra).
In fact, different suppliers like Printify (30.4%), AOP+ (10%), and Gelato (6.7%) additionally maintain their respective market shares.
However, for now, Printful is the preferred by far.
A small bonus statistic: Round 12% of print on demand shops use Printful and Printify collectively!
2. High-performing attire print on demand shops promote between $50 and $100 on common
- The important thing takeaway: You do not have to compete on product pricing.
If you wish to promote attire in your POD retailer, chances are you’ll marvel, ‘How a lot can I realistically anticipate prospects to spend on my retailer?’
Effectively, we have got some encouraging information for you!
Probably the most profitable attire print on demand shops usually have a mean product value between $50 and $100.
It tells us that prospects are prepared to spend should you supply distinctive, well-designed, high-quality attire!
3. The success price of print on demand is 24%
- The important thing takeaway: Whereas print on demand has its challenges, it is potential to seek out long-term success.
Doing print on demand can typically really feel like a rollercoaster.
You will have your highs, lows, and people in-between moments the place you are not sure should you’re heading up or down.
However this is a fairly eye-opening stat: out of all of the print on demand shops created, about 24% are nonetheless energetic after three years.
This stat would possibly sound a bit intimidating, however on the identical time, it may be a reminder of the significance of repeatedly studying, adapting, and being persistent.
4. There’s a clear correlation between a print on demand retailer’s age and its web site rating
- The important thing takeaway: Persistence with print on demand can result in higher web site rankings, driving extra gross sales.
Here is one other perception: the longer a print on demand retailer has been round, the higher its web site tends to rank.
The graph beneath reveals the common web site rating of POD shops primarily based on their yr of creation.
The y-axis represents the highest X% of web site rating, with 0% indicating the most effective rating and 100% indicating the worst:
This means that shops which have caught round are probably doing many issues proper.
Assume web optimization optimizations, high quality backlinks, partaking content material, and, after all, top-notch buyer evaluations.
When you’re simply beginning, don’t fret an excessive amount of about this.
Each long-standing retailer as soon as began from scratch, similar to you.
With constant effort, over time, you’ll be able to climb these ladders too!
5. The estimated common conversion price of a print on demand retailer is 1.7%
- The important thing takeaway: A 1.7% conversion price is the business common for POD shops.
You have probably heard the time period ‘conversion price’ earlier than, and for a superb cause.
It is a metric that tells you what number of of your web site guests are literally making a purchase order.
From our knowledge of over 200k print on demand shops, we are able to estimate that the common conversion price is 1.7%.
So, attaining (or surpassing) this price means you are nicely on this half!
6. Curiosity in print on demand grew by 300% within the final 5 years
- The important thing takeaway: The print on demand business is rising strongly!
Based on Google Tendencies, curiosity in print on demand has grown by round 300% within the final 5 years:
That is equal to a yearly progress of round 32%!
However what’s inflicting this? We predict there are a couple of causes:
- There’s the attraction of low upfront prices for inexperienced persons.
- There’s the personalization facet that prospects love.
- There is a sustainable angle of manufacturing solely when there is a demand (decreasing waste).
And lastly, there have been vital technological enhancements in these years, permitting for higher printing strategies and a way more in depth choice of merchandise accessible for print on demand!
26 Extra print on demand statistics
Do you know that Impulse is the most typical premium theme for print on demand shops?
Or that, on common, print on demand shops with a weblog are extra profitable than these with out one?
When you discover these stats fascinating, learn on!
Tip: You too can discover our record of dropshipping statistics right here!
The print on demand market
Let’s begin with some statistics in regards to the print on demand market:
7. The POD market measurement in 2022 was $6.18 billion and is anticipated to develop at a CAGR of 25.8% from 2023 to 2030
- The important thing takeaway: Now’s the most effective time to get into print on demand.
With a worth of $6.18 billion in 2022, it is clear that the print on demand business just isn’t small.
Plus, the market is anticipated to develop at a powerful CAGR of 25.8% between 2023 and 2030.
So, should you’ve been contemplating beginning with print on demand, there isn’t any higher time than now!
8. 4.9% of all on-line shops do print on demand
- The important thing takeaway: When you’ve ever thought-about beginning a POD retailer, you are not alone.
There are a whole bunch of hundreds of on-line shops providing all the things from dietary supplements to furnishings.
And between all of those shops, a noteworthy 4.9% are concerned in print on demand.
In different phrases, virtually one in twenty on-line shops are print on demand shops!
Here is one other fascinating statistic: 11.4% of all Shopify shops do print on demand.
This makes Shopify the preferred ecommerce platform for print on demand by far!
Tip: Have you ever already created your Shopify account? If not, join by clicking this hyperlink right here to get a free 3-day trial + pay $1/month for the primary 3 months!
9. There are round 228,000 energetic print on demand shops
- The important thing takeaway: This variety of energetic POD shops signifies the attractiveness of this enterprise mannequin.
With low startup prices, no want for stock, and the flexibility to focus on area of interest markets, it is no marvel entrepreneurs are establishing POD outlets!
10. 65% of print on demand shops fail inside one yr
- The important thing takeaway: Beginning a print on demand retailer comes with challenges, particularly within the preliminary levels.
Have you ever ever heard the well-known assertion that 90% of on-line companies fail throughout the first yr?
Based on our knowledge, that is not essentially the case for print on demand.
As a substitute, we discovered that round 65% of print on demand shops do not make it previous their first birthday.
However why is it nonetheless such a excessive share?
Like many startups and on-line companies, print on demand requires extra than simply establishing a retailer and ready for gross sales.
It is a recreation of technique, persistence, and steady adaptation.
You should be good at market analysis, designing merchandise, pricing methods, advertising efforts, and customer support – each facet is essential to a retailer’s success (or lack thereof).
11. Round 0.6% of energetic print on demand shops use Shopify Plus
- The important thing takeaway: Although solely a choose group of POD shops use Shopify Plus, it reveals the expansion potential within the business.
Most print on demand companies select Shopify as their ecommerce platform.
And from these POD shops, round 0.6% use Shopify Plus.
Why so few?
Shopify Plus is for high-growth, high-volume companies.
For these simply beginning or within the rising part, common Shopify plans supply all the required instruments and assets.
12. A print on demand retailer sells 44 completely different merchandise on common
- The important thing takeaway: It is essential to stability amount with high quality and guarantee every product enhances your model’s total imaginative and prescient.
On common, a print on demand retailer affords 44 completely different merchandise.
This reveals the flexibility of print on demand; you’ll be able to promote something from customized t-shirts, hoodies, and mugs to notebooks, cellphone instances, and even wall artwork!
However keep in mind, it is not nearly amount.
Guarantee every product aligns along with your model, is of top quality, and serves a goal in your retailer.
13. A high 10% print on demand retailer sells 160 completely different merchandise on common
- The important thing takeaway: As your retailer grows, you’ll in all probability add extra merchandise.
This statistic means that the top-performing print on demand shops sometimes have a broader product providing than the overall dataset.
Nevertheless, it is necessary to notice that the modal (most regularly occurring) variety of merchandise bought is ten merchandise.
So, should you’re a newbie, begin with a small choice, and as you perceive your viewers higher, you’ll be able to regularly increase!
14. Print on demand shops with larger costs are usually extra profitable
- The important thing takeaway: Success in print on demand is not all the time about being the most cost effective possibility.
You would possibly assume that aggressive pricing (learn: cheaper) can be the ticket to success with print on demand.
Maybe surprisingly, it appears to be the alternative.
Beneath, you’ll be able to see a scatter plot of the web site rating of the highest 10% of POD shops vs. their common product value:
Whereas there isn’t any clear visible distinction, we discovered that the correlation coefficient is roughly -0.109, indicating a slight unfavourable correlation; because the product value will increase, the rating tends to be higher (decrease).
With larger costs, shops usually place themselves as premium manufacturers, resulting in higher revenue margins and making a notion of superior high quality and exclusivity.
In fact, it is not nearly including a excessive price ticket to your objects.
Profitable higher-priced shops usually focus closely on branding, product high quality, customer support, and storytelling.
They improve the whole purchasing expertise, which justifies the upper costs.
15. The median variety of month-to-month guests for the highest 10% of print on demand shops is 1,978.
- The important thing takeaway: If in case you have over 1,978 month-to-month guests to your POD retailer, you are already forward of many others!
One of many metrics that companies usually obsess over is web site site visitors.
Once we take a look at the highest 10% of print on demand shops, we discover that they’ve a median of 1,978 guests each month:
For up-and-coming POD retailer homeowners, this quantity can function a motivational benchmark!
16. On common, the highest 1% of print on demand shops add 7 new merchandise every single day
- The important thing takeaway: Whereas the quantity is likely to be formidable for a lot of, the precept of constantly providing recent, related merchandise is a game-changer in POD.
Let’s take a second to soak up that the highest 1% of print on demand shops add 7 new merchandise each day.
By repeatedly introducing recent designs and merchandise, they hold their present buyer base engaged whereas attracting new eyes to their collections.
On common, the highest 1% of POD shops added:
- 76 Merchandise within the final 30 days
- 1,823 Merchandise within the final 90 days
- 2,550 Merchandise within the final twelve months
17. 3.8% of print on demand shops have an estimated month-to-month income of over $50k
- The important thing takeaway: The POD business holds immense potential for profitability, with some shops pulling in substantial month-to-month revenues.
A powerful 3.8% of print on demand shops have an estimated month-to-month income surpassing $50,000!
The shops that obtain these numbers have in all probability spent appreciable effort and time in market analysis, constructing buyer relationships, optimizing their product lineup, and refining their gross sales methods.
It reveals that attaining such income milestones is certainly potential!
One fascinating statement: when dropshipping shops, simply 1.5% had an estimated month-to-month income of over $50k. (Supply)
18. 75.8% of the highest 10% of print on demand shops are primarily promoting within the US, adopted by Canada (5.7%) and the UK (5.3%)
- The important thing takeaway: The US’s robust ecommerce infrastructure and huge client base make it a hotspot for top-performing POD shops.
The US claims the title for having essentially the most top-performing print on demand shops.
And guess what? It is not even shut.
Check out this chart displaying the geographical distribution of the highest POD shops:
As you’ll be able to see, different common nations for print on demand shops embrace Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, France, and the Netherlands.
- The important thing takeaway: Africa is a difficult print on demand market, though it might have potential should you’re prepared to take the danger.
Solely about 0.2% of print on demand shops function in Africa.
Elements like an absence of POD suppliers, various web accessibility, completely different buying behaviors, and logistical challenges make it a posh area.
Nevertheless, who is aware of?
As infrastructure improves, there’s an opportunity for early adopters to determine themselves as leaders within the African POD house.
20. 41.7% of print on demand shops primarily promote attire
- The important thing takeaway: Attire dominates the print on demand business because of its ease of entry and common attraction.
Nearly half – 41.7% to be exact – of POD shops principally promote garments.
This makes attire the preferred print on demand class by far:
Attire is adopted by House & Backyard (6.9% of POD shops) and Arts & Leisure (5.9% of POD shops).
There are a number of explanation why attire is such a big class.
First, virtually all POD suppliers supply attire, making it simpler to start out an attire POD retailer. Plus, everybody wants garments!
Apps and themes
Subsequent, now we have some insightful statistics about apps and themes for POD shops:
21. 63.1% of the highest 1% of print on demand shops have put in greater than ten apps
- The important thing takeaway: The very best print on demand shops use a number of apps to enhance their web site.
Do you know that 63.1% of essentially the most profitable print on demand shops have greater than ten apps put in?
These apps can add new options, automate duties, present deeper insights, or just make a web site extra partaking for its guests.
Nevertheless, keep in mind that it is high quality over amount with regards to apps.
Solely add new apps to your retailer after they genuinely add worth.
In any other case, they may decelerate your web site!
22. The typical print on demand shops spends round $76 monthly on apps
- The important thing takeaway: For POD shops, the month-to-month spend on apps is much less an expenditure and extra an funding in steady progress.
When beginning a web based retailer, there’s an abundance of instruments that promise to make your life simpler.
And for print on demand shops, that is no exception.
On common, print on demand shops make investments roughly $76 each month to entry numerous apps:
From the visualization, we are able to observe:
- Most print on demand shops spend beneath $100 month-to-month on apps.
- There is a sharp decline within the variety of shops because the month-to-month app spend will increase.
- Just a few shops have a really excessive month-to-month app spend, which might be seen in the best tail of the histogram.
This would possibly sound like simply one other expenditure on paper, however apps could be a nice funding.
For instance, they can be utilized to enhance consumer expertise, function extra effectively, enhance your advertising, and extra!
23. The most well-liked evaluate app for print on demand shops is Decide.me
- The important thing takeaway: A product evaluate app might help you optimize your POD retailer!
Earlier than making a purchase order, prospects usually search validation from their fellow customers.
They’ll discover that validation by studying product evaluations.
That is why round 12.2% of energetic print on demand shops put in the Decide.me product evaluate app!
With options like photograph and video evaluations, Q&A sections, and even social media sharing, it is no marvel that this app is so common.
24. Most print on demand shops supply PayPal, adopted by Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay
- The important thing takeaway: Provide PayPal, Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay as cost strategies in your retailer.
PayPal stays the preferred cost gateway on POD shops, adopted by the cost providers Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay.
When shopping for objects on-line, folks need to make the cost course of as clean as potential, and that is the place cost gateways are available in.
PayPal is the clear winner, however different gamers like Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay aren’t far behind.
Study extra: The 4 Greatest Fee Gateway Combos for Dropshipping
25. The most typical premium themes for print on demand shops are Impulse, Movement, and Warehouse
- The important thing takeaway: Frequent selections for premium themes are Impulse, Status, and Movement.
When you’re seeking to give your POD retailer an expert look, take into account one among these common premium themes from the Shopify Theme Retailer.
Impulse, which inserts very nicely with trend shops, is the preferred premium theme for print on demand shops:
Keep in mind, attire is the preferred print on demand area of interest, so that is in all probability the rationale why Impulse is so common!
26. 5.4% of print on demand shops use a web page builder, with the preferred one being PageFly
- The important thing takeaway: You do not want fancy instruments to achieve print on demand, however a web page builder like PageFly can provide you an edge.
Regardless of the massive variety of web page builders accessible, solely a small variety of print on demand shops use one.
Nevertheless, 5.4% of POD shops use PageFly, which might help you customise your on-line retailer, enhance the consumer expertise, and in the end improve conversions.
So, whereas it is not a requirement for fulfillment in print on demand, it is value contemplating if you wish to stand out!
Advertising and marketing
Listed below are six extra advertising print on demand statistics:
27. 22.5% of energetic print on demand shops have a weblog
- The important thing takeaway: Running a blog affords numerous advantages in your POD retailer.
Generally it is not nearly merchandise however fairly in regards to the story.
22.5% of energetic print on demand shops have acknowledged this and have a weblog.
Blogs can enhance a web site’s search rankings, making it simpler for potential prospects to find the shop.
Plus, they permit manufacturers to showcase their experience and hold prospects on their websites longer.
Right here is one other fascinating chart that reveals the most typical options applied by print on demand shops:
- The important thing takeaway: A model’s social footprint could be a reflection of its success.
The mixed common social following of the highest 1% of POD shops is 897,178 followers throughout platforms like Fb, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube.
So, with every put up, story, or tweet, these top-tier shops can doubtlessly attain near one million folks.
It is a highly effective advertising device!
29. Print on demand shops with a weblog are extra profitable than these with out one
- The important thing takeaway: When you’re contemplating including a weblog to your POD retailer, strive it!
Print on demand shops with a weblog, on common, have a web site rating that is 1,982,502 positions larger.
The decrease the web site rating, the higher.
So, which means shops with a weblog are inclined to carry out higher by way of net site visitors and probably gross sales!
30. Free supply is an important on-line buy driver, encouraging 49.4% of shoppers
- The important thing takeaway: Free supply is king!
Do you know that just about half of internet buyers are motivated to click on ‘purchase’ by free supply?
That is proper – in response to current knowledge, 49.4% of shoppers take into account free supply as essentially the most vital issue when making a web based buy.
So should you’re seeking to entice extra prospects, you would possibly need to take into account providing this candy perk to your prospects.
Who can resist free transport, proper?
31. The TikTok Pixel is put in on about 14.8% of print on demand shops
- The important thing takeaway: TikTok Adverts is likely to be an underrated advertising technique.
Similar to different social media pixels, the TikTok Pixel permits shops to trace customers’ behaviors after they work together with a TikTok advert.
About 14.8% of POD shops have put in the TikTok pixel, which suggests the identical share or much less use TikTok Adverts!
Given TikTok’s recognition, we’re stunned that comparatively few print on demand shops use TikTok Adverts as a part of their advertising methods.
32. On common, print on demand shops have essentially the most followers on YouTube
The important thing takeaway: YouTube appears to be a terrific social platform for POD shops because of its mixture of visible storytelling and huge attain.
After we analyzed the social media accounts of energetic print on demand shops, we discovered the next:
- YouTube has the best common followers, with roughly 125,396 followers.
- TikTok is available in second with round 93,077 followers.
- Instagram is shut behind, with roughly 78,352 followers.
- Twitter has a mean of 68,956 followers.
- Fb has round 64,571 followers on common.
- Pinterest has the fewest common followers, with about 2,386 followers.
Earlier than we go to the conclusion, we have created a fast abstract of this text for you so you’ll be able to simply keep in mind it:
- The very best time to start out with print on demand was yesterday, however the second-best time is at the moment!
- Attributable to its recognition, Printful appears to be a terrific POD provider.
- You do not all the time should compete on costs.
- Print on demand comes with challenges initially, however should you persevere, your chance of success will increase!
- Most print on demand shops promote attire and goal the US.
So, what have we realized?
Success in POD is all about being strategic, actually providing what your prospects need, and utilizing the best digital instruments.
However keep in mind, it is not about making an attempt to do all the things.
It is extra about understanding which instruments, objects, and designs suit your fashion and your model the most effective.
Lastly, should you appreciated these print on demand statistics, take a look at our record of dropshipping statistics right here!
Spoiler: A lot of them apply to print on demand as nicely.
Better of luck along with your print on demand retailer!
Need to be taught extra about POD?
Prepared to maneuver your print on demand retailer to the following degree? Try the articles beneath:
Plus, don’t overlook to take a look at our in-depth easy methods to begin a print on demand enterprise information right here!