Digital merchandise can’t be held, tasted, or touched, however everybody consumes them—from music to movies, ebooks to on-line programs, and extra.
Many entrepreneurs construct total companies round these intangible items, resulting from their recognition and ease of distribution, or launch digital merchandise to promote complementary to the bodily objects or providers they provide.
What makes studying tips on how to promote digital merchandise particularly interesting, nonetheless, is they are often created as soon as and offered repeatedly to totally different clients with out having to replenish stock, making them splendid for creatives, bloggers, educators, and freelancers searching for passive methods to generate profits on-line that require much less effort to keep up.
Here is tips on how to promote digital merchandise on-line—together with the highest digital merchandise examples, tips on how to create your personal, and advertising tricks to promote on-line efficiently.
Discover your subsequent on-line digital merchandise 💻
Easy methods to promote digital merchandise in 4 steps
1. Discover or create a digital product
Discover a digital product to promote, whether or not you resell current merchandise or create your personal. Digital merchandise embrace music, fonts, Photoshop presets, programs, or on-line providers.
2. Construct an internet retailer
Rise up and working in just a few hours. Choose from a catalog of web site templates, populate together with your emblem, copy, and pictures, and also you’re able to get promoting.
3. Use an app to make promoting simple
Some apps make supply of digital merchandise even simpler. Browse the Shopify App Retailer to seek out apps that plug into your retailer and do every part from internet hosting course content material to delivering PDF purchases.
4. Market your digital merchandise
Discover your clients the place they’re. Should you’re promoting fonts or design templates, construct an viewers of designers and creators on the social platforms they use most. Contemplate influencer advertising, social advertisements, or lead magnets.
What are digital merchandise?
A digital product is an intangible asset or piece of media that may be offered and distributed repeatedly on-line with out the necessity to replenish stock. These merchandise usually come within the type of downloadable or streamable digital recordsdata, equivalent to MP3s, PDFs, movies, plug-ins, and templates.
Why promote digital merchandise versus bodily items?
Promoting digital merchandise has many benefits that makes it uniquely enticing to entrepreneurs:
- Low overhead prices.You don’t have to carry stock or incur any transport costs.
- Excessive revenue margins. There’s no recurring price of products, so you keep nearly all of your gross sales in income. Calculate your revenue margins forward of time with our free instrument.
- Potential to automate. Orders may be delivered immediately, letting you be comparatively hands-off with achievement.
- Versatile merchandise. You possibly can supply free merchandise to construct your electronic mail listing, month-to-month paid subscriptions for entry to unique digital content material, or licenses to make use of your digital merchandise. You may have a whole lot of choices as to the way you incorporate digital merchandise into your online business.
- E-learning is the way forward for schooling. You may have a large alternative to develop your online business and impression with e-learning, an business anticipated to be price $374 billion by 2026.
However on-line digital merchandise additionally include particular challenges you’ll must be careful for:
- You’re competing with free content material. With digital items, shoppers can most likely discover free alternate options to what you’re promoting. You’ll have to consider carefully in regards to the area of interest you goal, the kinds of merchandise you promote, and tips on how to write your product descriptions. You’ll additionally need to supply high-quality merchandise and know tips on how to construct your model with a view to compete.
- You’re inclined to piracy/theft. You must take precautions and scale back these dangers by using the best instruments to guard your merchandise.
- There are some restrictions on tips on how to promote digital merchandise. For instance, you need to promote bodily merchandise by the Fb and Instagram gross sales channel in keeping with their commerce coverage.
Most of those challenges may be overcome, nonetheless, in the event you make use of the best instruments when designing your digital product enterprise.
6 finest digital merchandise to promote on-line
- Academic merchandise
- Licenses to make use of your digital belongings
- Membership websites
- Digital templates and instruments
- Music or artwork
For just a little inspiration when creating these merchandise, discover the highest kinds of digital merchandise listed beneath.
1. Academic merchandise
On-line programs are finest suited to in-depth content material. They require some effort up entrance, from making a presentation to recording a video walk-through. When creating programs, begin with learner outcomes: what would you like the learner to know or be capable of do on the finish of your course?
You possibly can embrace quizzes, information checks, and interactive actions inside your programs to assist break-up studying content material and make your e-course extra participating. Contemplate studying and implementing a educating mannequin like ADDIE.
Should you think about your self an knowledgeable on a selected matter, digital merchandise are a good way to bundle that data and promote it to others trying to be taught.
If there’s an abundance of free weblog posts or tutorials on YouTube about what you’d like to show, you may compete by delivering content material that guarantees not schooling however transformation. In different phrases, don’t promote the product—promote the shopper’s personal potential after shopping for your product.
You possibly can leverage an current repute as an knowledgeable to garner consideration in your downloadable merchandise to promote on-line or, in the event you’re ranging from scratch, you may create and provides away free content material to generate curiosity and leads in your paid digital merchandise.
2. Licenses to make use of your digital belongings
From inventory pictures to video footage, from music and sound results, there’s a world ecosystem of licensable digital belongings uploaded by creatives for different creatives to make use of of their work.
By providing licenses to people and companies, you may cost for the usage of your pictures, movies, music, software program, and related prime digital merchandise in your personal retailer and thru on-line marketplaces, equivalent to inventory photograph websites. In change for publicity, a few of these marketplaces can take as much as 50% in fee for each sale. Nevertheless, if you wish to construct your personal vacation spot for digital merchandise to promote, you should utilize SendOwl to energy this kind of enterprise with distinctive auto-generated license keys.
When arising with belongings to create, it helps to work backward from the wants of your meant viewers. Begin by excited about what sort of belongings they’d need to use with a view to create merchandise which are really in demand (and thus simpler to promote).
Additionally, you should definitely shield your digital merchandise with watermarks and different safety measures, particularly in the event you’re promoting pictures.
3. Membership websites
As a substitute of specializing in tips on how to promote digital merchandise individually, you may bundle them collectively and lock them behind a paid subscription to generate recurring income.
This method to promoting digital merchandise is good in the event you plan to keep up a rising library of premium content material and nurture a group of passionate members. In some circumstances, paid digital subscriptions may even create a possibility to straight monetize your current content material advertising efforts.
Since this content material is behind a gate that solely paying subscribers can entry by their buyer account, you may as well host unique content material that may be streamed slightly than downloaded.
4. Digital templates and instruments
Digital merchandise may also come within the type of intangible instruments that equip professionals to do duties that both fall outdoors of their ability set or take up a whole lot of time. You possibly can promote digital options to the widespread ache factors and desires of a selected viewers.
Some examples of tips on how to promote digital merchandise on-line this manner embrace:
- Digital advertising technique templates for entrepreneurs
- Résumé templates for job-seekers
- Cellular apps for companies
- Graphic design templates for brochures, flyers, posters, and many others.
- Adobe Photoshop filters and plugins for media editors
- Icons, fonts, or UX Kits for internet designers
If you have already got a contract enterprise, it could be price contemplating how one can flip your expertise and providers into digital merchandise to create passive streams of income.
5. Music or artwork
Should you’re a musician or an artist, likelihood is you’ve explored methods you may monetize your skills or the viewers you’re constructing. Whereas print on demand t-shirts or customized prints are all the time an possibility, there are additionally loads of digital product examples for promoting artwork and music.
A musician can promote ringtones of their finest songs alongside their merch. Or a cartoonist may flip their artwork into printables, telephone wallpapers, or print-on-demand merchandise. A filmmaker can promote their motion pictures on-line. Because you don’t have to carry any stock with on-line digital merchandise, you may experiment with totally different codecs to see what your viewers needs with out a lot threat.
Providers are inclined to pair properly with a wide range of kinds of digital merchandise as a result of providers are primarily their reverse—with providers, your “stock” is restricted to the variety of working hours you may accommodate.
Plus, clients usually obtain digital merchandise as a part of their “buy” with many providers. A designer will ship logos. A private coach may ship a exercise plan. Leaning into this, you may place sure providers as packages containing invaluable digital merchandise.
For instance, you possibly can supply a session for a charge, together with a personalised report or Excel spreadsheet, after which upsell your clients in your different providers or merchandise. Or you possibly can supply a free downloadable product to generate leads in your electronic mail advertising listing, a tactic that many on-line companies make use of at the moment.
If there are widespread duties you full as a part of your service enterprise which are simple for you however invaluable to your buyer, you may think about productizing them to create income streams that require much less of your effort and time to keep up.
Free: The Massive Record of Enterprise Concepts
That can assist you discover the inspiration to begin, we compiled a listing of 100+ in-demand enterprise concepts, damaged down into classes like health, attire, and gaming.
Get the large listing of enterprise concepts delivered proper to your inbox.
Virtually there: please enter your electronic mail beneath to achieve immediate entry.
Easy methods to create digital merchandise
Whereas it’s simple to get caught ready round for a eureka second, discovering an excellent enterprise concept is extra of a course of. It’s nice to have an concept that excites you, however in order for you an concept that sells, you’ll need to comply with a strategy of brainstorming, analysis, and validation. Right here’s what goes into creating the most effective digital content material to promote:
Generate concepts to begin with, and write all of them down. Don’t be too crucial—you don’t must give you the most effective digital merchandise in your first brainstorm. Dangerous concepts can result in good concepts and vice versa. The important thing to brainstorming is to keep away from overthinking issues.
Should you’re searching for a spark for concepts on downloadable merchandise to promote on-line, listed here are some inquiries to ask your self:
- Are you able to train clients tips on how to use your merchandise? For instance, in the event you promote knitting merchandise, you possibly can supply appointments to show superior knitting strategies.
- Are there issues you may assist your clients with associated to your general business? Should you promote surfboards, you possibly can create a exercise program to assist your clients keep in surf form at dwelling.
- What are the values you’ve constructed your online business on, and what are subjects associated to them? For instance, in the event you promote sustainable attire, you possibly can create a course educating your clients tips on how to reside a extra sustainable life.
- In what methods may you convey your group of consumers collectively? Should you promote kitchen provides, you possibly can run a digital guided wine tasting occasion.
- What are you good at? Should you’re actually nice at product pictures, you possibly can train different folks tips on how to get higher at product pictures too.
Do a little analysis so as to add to your listing of small enterprise concepts. One of the best digital merchandise to promote enchantment to ache factors your clients have associated to your product, business, or values, in addition to subjects they love or get enthusiastic about. Each current nice enterprise alternatives to offer worth within the type of an academic product.
Listed here are some good locations to get began doing analysis in your prime digital merchandise:
- Fb teams. There are Fb teams devoted to each area of interest and viewers possible, making them an important place to be taught what your potential clients care about.
- Trade boards. Boards devoted to hobbies and communities in your business will help you be taught extra about what folks need and want in your broader business.
- Product evaluations. Learn each the evaluations in your merchandise and opponents’ merchandise to get concepts. These may come from the evaluations on product pages in addition to stand-alone evaluations on blogs and different web sites.
- Weblog posts and feedback. Learn the weblog content material your group could be studying, in addition to the feedback, to get much more concepts. For instance, in the event you promote auto elements, dig round on automotive blogs.
- Emails from clients. Lastly, don’t neglect to return and reread any emails or messages you’ve gotten from clients over time. The individuals who took the time to contact you with ideas and issues are normally “excessive intent” clients they usually might need shared some actually helpful insights.
Earlier than committing an excessive amount of time to your concept for digital merchandise to promote, you need to validate it and ensure it’s strong. The very last thing you need to do is make investments a whole lot of time or cash in a brand new enterprise with out understanding it has an excellent probability to achieve success.
There are a few methods to validate your concept as you determine tips on how to promote digital merchandise:
- Key phrase analysis. Use a key phrase instrument to see how many individuals are trying to find your subjects. This offers you an concept of the chance measurement of every one.
- Google Developments. Search your subjects on Google Developments. Search for subjects which are rising in curiosity. This implies the chance measurement will continue to grow.
- Ask for suggestions. Contact your clients straight, both by electronic mail or social media. A ballot or survey is a good way to gather buyer suggestions.
- Begin small and iterate. Generally, the best method to validate an concept is to experiment with a smaller model of the thought with room for development. The purpose is to get one thing out into the world as quickly as attainable so you may put your concept to the check and enhance from it from there.
It doesn’t matter what business you’re in, you’ve distinctive strengths and information that may be invaluable to your clients and promoting digital merchandise.
4. Create an internet retailer
When you validate a digital product concept, you’ll need to get an ecommerce platform to promote on. If you wish to know tips on how to promote digital merchandise on-line, this step is essential.
Shopify is the best and most respected method to create an ecommerce retailer for on-line digital merchandise. You don’t want any tech expertise or a giant price range, and you may select from over 100 templates with built-in options to get arrange shortly. There are additionally over 4,000 free Shopify apps you should utilize for managing your retailer and promoting extra digital merchandise on-line.
8 apps for promoting digital merchandise on Shopify
- Digital Downloads
- Single Music
- Sky Pilot
There are a variety of gross sales and advertising instruments you’ll need to think about for promoting digital merchandise, relying in your wants:
- Digital Downloads. This free app by Shopify gives a easy method to promote digital merchandise by yourself web site. Upon buy, clients can obtain their file instantly and obtain a hyperlink of their electronic mail.
- SendOwl. For extra advanced digital product companies, SendOwl comes with a wide range of options and helpful automation, like expiring hyperlinks and auto-generated license keys, to energy your merchandise.
- Programs. This Shopify app enables you to create classes, tutorials, webinars, and manuals and promote them on-line. You possibly can create stunning on-line schooling portals, embed pre-recorded movies, and even livestream lesson content material. Clients can observe their progress and earn certificates for his or her completion.
- Single Music. Should you’re a musician promoting music, Single was made with you in thoughts. Not solely does it bridge the hole between bodily and digital music gross sales, it additionally enables you to simply embrace clips in your product web page for patrons to pattern.
- Thinkific. This app enables you to monetize your experience and develop your viewers by including on-line programs to your Shopify retailer. You possibly can add and drag and drop content material to create a course curriculum. A free plan is out there, permitting you to create as much as three programs.
- FetchApp. FetchApp is one other digital obtain supply app that gives fewer options than SendOwl however has a free plan obtainable (5 MB of storage) and provides you the flexibility to connect a number of recordsdata to a single product.
- Sky Pilot or Daring Memberships. These apps are perfect for constructing a membership program. You possibly can promote recordsdata and unique video streams to clients. Clients can then entry all of their beforehand bought recordsdata by their very own buyer accounts.
- BookThatApp, Tipo, or Sesami. These three apps are excellent for companies that provide one-to-one or small group interactions and want an appointment reserving resolution to schedule consultations or teaching classes with clients. All three apps have a free plan obtainable.
Past these digital product supply methods, there are different Shopify apps to energy and shield your digital items, equivalent to:
- Recurring Order & Subscription. That is an app for weekly or month-to-month subscriptions. Use it to automate recurring orders, invoices, and digital subscriptions for on-line memberships or applications.
- Pasilobus Armor. If you’d like additional safety for visible merchandise like inventory pictures, this app gives many of the safety measures it’s possible you’ll want, from watermarks to supply code safety.
- Disable Proper-Click on. When your content material is your product, this app helps you shield it from theft. You possibly can lock photographs and textual content to allow them to’t be saved or copied with out your permission.
Relying in your wants, these apps and extra can be utilized collectively that will help you incorporate digital merchandise into your Shopify retailer and execute any of the digital merchandise examples beneath.
Gross sales and advertising ideas for promoting digital merchandise
Whether or not you’re a brand-new enterprise proprietor or including on-line digital merchandise to your current retailer, hold the following tips in thoughts:
- Create an important product. The primary standards for creating digital merchandise is so as to add worth to your clients’ life. Because you’re competing with free content material on the net, spend money on constructing a product folks can’t discover anyplace else.
- Promote a lead magnet. No matter how a lot your product prices, create a light-weight model of it totally free. A free product will help you construct an electronic mail listing you may promote to sooner or later. It additionally opens the door for upselling and retargeting potential clients with totally different promotions. Free builds belief between your online business and potential clients.
- Begin an associates program. Associates are an enormous supply of visitors and gross sales for creators promoting digital merchandise. Discover influencers who’re established and trusted in your business and supply them a fee for every sale they make. You possibly can create totally different percentages for various associates, so if somebody has a large viewers, you can provide them a better fee fee to advertise extra and appeal to clients.
- Accumulate preorders. A good way to get early gross sales is by giving a reduced “early fowl” worth. Should you’re releasing a brand new digital product, you may supply a 50% low cost for the primary 100 patrons, then 25% for the following 100 patrons, after which launch the product at full worth after the 25% low cost runs out. You possibly can solely launch the 50% low cost to your current viewers to reward their loyalty, get suggestions, and drive prelaunch gross sales.
- Provide a money-back assure. Should you’re hesitant about providing a guaranty in your merchandise, it is smart. Some folks may purchase and use your product then ask for his or her a refund. Nevertheless it’s all part of working an internet enterprise. The rewards of upper conversion charges outweigh the small share of people that could abuse the coverage. A a refund assure exhibits potential patrons you’re placing your cash the place your mouth is, and placing the danger on you, not them.
Creating the most effective digital merchandise for your online business
With out the necessity to maintain stock or the overhead related to promoting bodily merchandise, all kinds of digital merchandise may be worthwhile on-line enterprise concepts.
There are numerous methods you may create the most effective digital content material to promote and resell and incorporate them into your online business. With just a little ingenuity and upfront funding of time, you may serve up irresistible worth that may greater than pay for itself over time.
Able to create your first enterprise? Begin your free trial of Shopify—no bank card required.
Digital merchandise FAQ
What are some examples of digital merchandise?
- On-line programs and webinars
- Kindle books
- Software program applications
- Internet components like Shopify or WordPress themes
- Membership websites
- PowerPoint templates
How do you create a digital product?
- Brainstorm digital product concepts.
- Analysis purchaser ache factors.
- Validate concepts by key phrase and development analysis.
- Produce your digital merchandise.
- Create a Shopify retailer.
- Construct an viewers and market your digital merchandise.
What digital merchandise are in demand?
- Academic merchandise like ebooks and on-line programs
- Unique membership communities
- Digital templates and instruments
- Repurposed music or artwork
- Productized providers
- Licenses to make use of digital belongings
What sort of digital merchandise promote finest?
One of the best-selling digital merchandise embrace graphic design, templates, downloadable prints, music and audio, inventory pictures, and print on demand merchandise like customized t-shirts, notebooks, and mugs.