AWS Utility Migration Service (AWS MGN) can simplify and expedite your migration to AWS by mechanically changing your supply servers from bodily, digital, or cloud infrastructure to run natively on AWS. Within the submit, Easy methods to Use the New AWS Utility Migration Server for Elevate-and-Shift Migrations, Channy launched us to Utility Migration Service and how one can get began.
Through the use of Utility Migration Service for migration, you’ll be able to decrease time-intensive, error-prone handbook processes by automating replication and conversion of your supply servers from bodily, digital, or cloud infrastructure to run natively on AWS. Final yr, we launched main enhancements resembling new migration servers grouping, an account-level launch template, and a post-launch actions template.
Immediately, I’m happy to announce three main updates of Utility Migration Service. Right here’s the short abstract for every function launch:
- Import and export – Now you can use Utility Migration Service to import your supply setting stock checklist to the service from a CSV file. You may also export your supply server stock for reporting functions, offline evaluations and updates, integration with different instruments and AWS providers, and performing bulk configuration modifications by reimporting the stock checklist.
- Server migration metrics dashboard – This new dashboard will help simplify migration venture administration by offering an aggregated view of the migration lifecycle standing of your supply servers
- Further post-launch modernization actions – On this replace, Utility Migration Service added eight further predefined post-launch actions. These actions are utilized to your migrated functions whenever you launch them on AWS.
Let me share how you should utilize these options in your migration.
Import and Export
Earlier than we go additional into the import and export options, let’s talk about two ideas inside Utility Migration Service: functions and waves, which you’ll outline when migrating with Utility Migration Service. Purposes symbolize a gaggle of servers. Through the use of functions, you’ll be able to outline teams of servers and determine them as an software. Inside your software, you’ll be able to carry out varied actions with Utility Migration Service, resembling monitoring, specifying tags, and performing bulk operations, for instance, launching check cases. Moreover, you’ll be able to group your functions into waves, which symbolize a gaggle of servers which might be migrated collectively, as a part of your migration plan.
With the import function, now you can import your stock checklist in CSV type into Utility Migration Service. This makes it straightforward so that you can handle giant scale-migrations, and ingest your stock of supply servers, functions and waves, together with their attributes.
To begin utilizing the import function, I must determine my servers and software stock. I can do that manually, or utilizing discovery instruments. The subsequent factor I must do is obtain the import template which I can entry from the console.
After I downloaded the import template, I can begin mapping from my stock checklist into this template. Whereas mapping my stock, I can group associated servers into functions and waves. I also can carry out configurations, resembling defining Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) launch template settings, and specifying tags for every wave.
The next screenshot is an instance of the outcomes of my import template:
The subsequent step is to add my CSV file to an Amazon Easy Storage Service (Amazon S3) bucket. Then, I can begin the import course of from the Utility Migration Service console by referencing the CSV file containing my stock checklist that I’ve uploaded to the S3 bucket.
When the import course of is full, I can see the small print of the import outcomes.
I can import stock for servers that don’t have an agent put in, or haven’t but been found by agentless replication. Nevertheless, to copy knowledge, I would like to make use of agentless replication, or set up the AWS Replication Agent on my supply servers.
Now I can view all my stock contained in the Supply servers, Purposes and Waves pages on the Utility Migration Service console. The next is a screenshot for not too long ago imported waves.
As well as, with the export function, I can export my supply servers, functions, and waves together with all configurations that I’ve outlined right into a CSV file.
That is useful if you wish to do reporting or offline evaluations, or for bulk enhancing earlier than reimporting the CSV file into Utility Migration Service.
Server Migration Metrics Dashboard
We beforehand supported a migration metrics dashboard for functions and waves. On this launch, we now have particularly added a migration metrics dashboard for servers. Now you’ll be able to view aggregated overviews of your server’s migration course of on the Utility Migration Service dashboard. Three matters can be found within the migration metrics dashboard:
- Alerts – Exhibits related alerts for respective servers.
- Information replication standing – Exhibits the replication knowledge overview standing for supply servers. Right here, you get a fast overview of the lifecycle standing of the replication knowledge course of.
- Migration lifecycle – Exhibits an outline of the migration lifecycle from supply servers.
Further Predefined Put up-launch Modernization Actions
Put up-launch actions can help you management and automate actions carried out after your servers have been launched in AWS. You should use predefined or use customized post-launch actions.
Utility Migration Service now has eight further predefined post-launch actions to run in your EC2 cases on high of the prevailing 4 predefined post-launch actions. These further post-launch actions offer you flexibility to maximise your migration expertise.
The brand new further predefined post-launch actions are as follows:
- Convert MS-SQL license – You’ll be able to simply convert Home windows MS-SQL BYOL to an AWS license utilizing the Home windows MS-SQL license conversion motion. The launch course of contains checking the SQL version (Enterprise, Normal, or Internet) and utilizing the precise AMI with the precise billing code.
- Create AMI from occasion – You’ll be able to create a brand new Amazon Machine Picture (AMI) out of your Utility Migration Service launched occasion.
- Improve Home windows model – This function means that you can simply improve your migrated server to Home windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, 2019, or 2022. You’ll be able to see the complete checklist of accessible OS variations on AWSEC2-CloneInstanceAndUpgradeWindows web page.
- Conduct EC2 connectivity checks – You’ll be able to conduct community connectivity checks to a predefined checklist of ports and hosts utilizing the EC2 connectivity test function.
- Validate quantity integrity – You should use this function to make sure that Amazon Elastic Block Retailer (Amazon EBS) volumes on the launched occasion are the identical dimension because the supply, correctly mounted on the EC2 occasion, and accessible.
- Confirm course of standing – You’ll be able to validate the method standing to make sure that processes are in a working state after occasion launch. You’ll need to supply a listing of processes that you simply wish to confirm and specify how lengthy the service ought to wait earlier than testing begins. This function enables you to do the wanted validations mechanically and saves time by not having to do them manually.
- CloudWatch agent set up – Use the Amazon CloudWatch agent set up function to put in and arrange the CloudWatch agent and Utility Insights options.
- Be part of Listing Service area – You’ll be able to simplify the AWS be part of area course of through the use of this function. For those who select to activate this motion, your occasion will likely be managed by the AWS Cloud Listing (as an alternative of on premises).
Issues to Know
Remember the next:
- Up to date UI/UX – Now we have up to date the person interface with card structure and desk structure view for the motion checklist on the Utility Migration Service console. This replace lets you decide which post-launch actions are appropriate in your use case . Now we have additionally added filter choices to make it straightforward to seek out related actions by working system, class, and extra.
- Assist for added OS variations – Utility Migration Service now helps CentOS 5.5 and later and Purple Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 and later working programs.
- Availability – These options can be found now, and you can begin utilizing them immediately in all Areas the place Utility Migration Service is supported.
Get Began Immediately
Go to the Utility Migration Service Person Information web page to be taught extra about these options and perceive the pricing. You may also go to Getting began with AWS Utility Migration Service to be taught extra about how one can get began emigrate your workloads.