Whereas DJI has launched a number of newer fashions, a lot of their older ones are nonetheless worthwhile, too, and will make good newbie drones, particularly in case you are on a price range.
Many individuals contemplate two drone fashions for his or her first drone or as a present for family members trying to get into drones: the DJI Spark, an older drone mannequin, and the DJI Mini 2 SE, a latest drone with extra fundamental know-how.
So, the DJI Mini 2 SE vs. the DJI Spark, which one would I select? Learn on to seek out out why I favor the DJI Mini 2 SE.
DJI Mini 2 SE Transient Overview
It is a easier and cheaper model of the DJI Mini 2, providing a extra accessible entry level to drones.
It reuses a few of the applied sciences discovered within the DJI Mini and Mini 2, providing a easy but purposeful drone that ticks a lot of the bins of a newbie drone.
Under are its major options:
- 2.7K decision for creating respectable footage.
- OcuSync 2.0 gives a steady transmission for short-range and barely longer flights.
- Foldable design for portability.
- Sub-250 grams weight, which exempts you from some rules.
- Clever flight modes like Quickshots and Panorama.
- A 1/2.3-inch sensor dimension is respectable if you wish to get into pictures.
- RAW capturing functionality means that you can discover ways to edit RAW footage, a obligatory talent for skilled pictures.
» MORE: Is the DJI Mini 2 SE Value It?
DJI Spark Transient Overview
The DJI Spark is a newbie drone aimed toward offering a extra easy entry-level into drones at a time when most drones have been both complicated or fairly costly.
Under are the options that appealed to most customers and would enchantment to most individuals right now:
- Hand gestures for straightforward management and having enjoyable when open air.
- Compact dimension for portability.
- Topic monitoring (Comply with Me) so as to add creativity and enjoyable to your outside actions.
- 2-axis gimbal for stabilized flights.
- Tapfly for ease of use.
- Entrance impediment avoidance for protected flight in areas with obstacles.
- There are two management choices: smartphone and controller, permitting you to decide on one that matches you.
- Automated flight modes enable for creating cinematic photographs extra simply.
The DJI Spark has many enjoyable options which have since been improved or eradicated in DJI’s later releases. Nevertheless, when it comes right down to which drone to decide on between the Spark and the DJI Mini 2 SE, I might go for the Mini 2 SE.
Why? It comes with the OcuSync transmission, which works higher than DJI Spark’s Wi-Fi transmission. Secondly, you get to movie in a better decision.
Lastly, the DJi Mini 2 SE is a more moderen drone, so its batteries shall be principally new, and you too can get guarantee protection.
I wouldn’t say the identical for the DJI Spark because it’s discontinued.
DJI Mini 2 SE vs. DJI Spark – what’s new?
That includes newer applied sciences and being a more moderen launch, beneath are the principle variations that set the DJI Mini 2 SE other than the Spark.
- Longer vary – The DJI Mini 2 SE comes with OcuSync 2.0, which provides a comparatively extra prolonged vary and higher efficiency in numerous conditions in comparison with an ordinary Wi-Fi connection just like the one on the Spark.
- Higher high quality footage – Whereas each drones have an identical sensor and shoot 12MP stills, the DJI Mini 2 SE appears to supply a greater high quality imaging expertise. It additionally means that you can movie in 2.7K with extra body fee choices, whereas the Spark is restricted to 1080p and has restricted body fee choices.
- Higher battery efficiency – In case you may discover a DJI Spark, chances are high will probably be a used one, so the batteries is not going to be at their optimum situation. Consequently, you might not get as a lot flight time, and will probably be difficult to get extra batteries.
DJI does its greatest to launch drones concentrating on completely different customers, and the DJI Mini 2 SE is one such drone.
Whereas lots of people have been searching for extra options to be included on the DJI Mini 2, all many customers needed was a easy drone that they might begin with, discover ways to fly, and presumably take good footage as they contemplate whether or not they should get a extra superior drone, or hold having enjoyable with their present drone.
That’s why even after releasing the DJI Mini 3 Professional, the DJI Mini 3, and later the DJI Mini 4 Professional, the DJI Mini 2 SE nonetheless appeals to many customers – these on the newbie finish of the spectrum.
Nice Starter Drone
DJI Mini 2 SE
Light-weight and Foldable Mini Drone with 2.7K Video, 10km Video Transmission, 31-min Flight Time, Below 249 g, Return to House, Automated Professional Shoots, Drone with digital camera for Learners.
We earn a fee should you make a purchase order, at no extra price to you.
01/21/2024 03:41 pm GMT
On the time of its launch, the opposite drones out there have been the Phantom sequence and the DJI Mavic Professional. These have been bigger, dearer drones that weren’t very interesting to freshmen.
The DJI Spark modified every thing by being cheaper and smaller whereas providing many options that might make proudly owning a drone enjoyable.
Picture and Video Recording
Winner: DJI Mini 2 SE
If you wish to get into severe pictures and videography, you should have a higher expertise with the DJI Mini 2 SE digital camera. DJI has come a good distance, and so they can now match a number of digital camera options right into a miniature drone.
That’s why you get a greater sensor and may do extra with a small drone now in comparison with 5 years in the past. The 12MP you get from the DJI Mini 2 SE will look higher than the one from the DJI Spark.
As talked about earlier, the DJI Spark can be restricted to capturing at 1080p at 30fps, whereas the Mini 2 SE can shoot 2.7K and 1080p with a wider vary of body charges.
The DJI Mini 2 SE additionally includes a 4X zoom, permitting you to shoot respectable footage from a distance. You’ll be able to’t obtain the identical with the DJI Spark.
How about picture stabilization? The DJI Mini 2 SE includes a 3-axis gimbal, compensating for vibration within the Pitch, Roll, and Yaw drone actions.
Alternatively, the DJI Spark includes a 2-axis gimbal that solely stabilizes footage in Pitch and Roll, so that you would possibly get shaky footage should you incorporate Yaw actions into your photographs.
Lastly, the DJI Mini 2 SE helps capturing RAW footage, which lets you edit the footage to your liking. To begin doing skilled pictures, you should discover ways to cope with RAW footage.
Customers hoped DJI would ultimately add RAW footage functionality to the DJI Spark, however they by no means did, and so they aren’t growing any enhancements for this drone, because it’s discontinued.
Winner: DJI Spark
DJI designed the DJI Spark as the final word selfie drone, that includes a number of automated options, which is why it options a few clever flight modes, a few of which we don’t see in newer drones.
Clever Modes on the Spark embrace:
- Panoramas – This function permits the drone to take a number of photos and sew them collectively to type a picture that appears prefer it was taken with a wide-angle digital camera. If you wish to present the expansiveness of a panorama, Panoramas would turn out to be useful.
- Quickshots – This includes a mixture of automated drone actions. You should use them to automate filming a topic in numerous points, which may be useful when you will have restricted battery life and have a variety of filming to do. These actions embrace Circle, Helix, Rocket, and Dronie.
- Tapfly – If you wish to fly to a sure level shortly or are nonetheless not good at flying, you may faucet on the display screen, and the drone will mechanically fly to that time. You may as well use it to movie a topic by guiding the drone to fly in the direction of it.
- Gesture management – That is one other fascinating function that made the DJI Spark fairly common. With a number of clicks, you may activate gesture management, permitting you to manage the drone by waving at it – speak about superpowers! Wave to the correct, and the drone will observe your arm. You may as well depict framing a shot telling the drone to take the selfie.
- ActiveTrack – On the time of its launch, we had already seen ActiveTrack in drones just like the Phantoms. This function means that you can observe a topic mechanically, and it may possibly establish frequent topics like individuals or automobiles. I used to be shocked to be taught that this drone had this function, too. Nevertheless, many customers skilled points with the drone dropping the topic. You’d have to make use of it in a straight line with out taking sharp corners to keep away from this. DJI has since improved the ActiveTrack function, and it really works significantly better now, but it surely was nice to have it on a tiny drone.
The DJI Mini 2 SE does function QuickShots and Panoramas, so it’s not that badly off. Moreover, it additionally consists of an additional Quickshot, Boomerang, which provides even methods to make use of your drone open air.
Weight and Design
Winner: DJI Mini 2 SE
Whereas the DJI Spark is tiny, it isn’t foldable, so it’s not as simple to bundle as a foldable drone. Nevertheless, the propellers fold in to make it simpler to pack up.
It additionally weighs 300 grams, which is mild however over the 250-gram restrict that exempts customers from registering their drone.
Alternatively, the DJI Mini 2 SE is small, foldable, and weighs 242 grams, so you’ll not need to register it except you employ it for skilled functions.
» MORE: Drone Legal guidelines in the US
Winner: DJI Mini 2 SE
The DJI Mini 2 SE comes with OcuSync 2.0, which ensures a variety of as much as 6 miles. In areas with numerous interference, it provides a good transmission.
The DJI Spark doesn’t have OcuSync. As a substitute, it options an HD Wi-Fi transmission system that ensures a variety of as much as 1.2 miles.
One consumer noticed that you simply get good transmission when flying in a straight line, however whenever you begin turning, the vary reduces. There are equipment you can purchase that might assist focus the sign and even amplify it, however you’ll not get the identical expertise as you’d with the OcuSync system.
It’s uncommon to get the complete vary marketed by the producer, however in a real-life check, the DJI Mini 2 SE outshines the DJI Spark.
Winner: DJI Spark
Impediment detection is one other stunning function within the DJI Spark, particularly for people who find themselves used to the drones DJI launched a lot later. Nevertheless, these sensors are on the entrance, so they won’t detect obstacles on the edges, high, or again.
Nonetheless, even the DJI Mini 2, which is barely higher than the Mini 2 SE, doesn’t have impediment avoidance.
The DJI Spark’s different security options embrace GPS, RTH, and Imaginative and prescient Sensors that assist stabilize its flight indoors.
When utilizing this drone, be very cautious with the automated flight modes. It’s greatest at all times to check them open air to gauge how they react earlier than attempting them in confined areas.
Some customers have crashed their drones once they initiated the Quickshots too near obstacles and the drone flew proper into them.
Whereas the DJI Mini 2 SE doesn’t function impediment avoidance, it consists of imaginative and prescient sensors, GPS, and RTH, that are nice to have, and you’ll have protected flights should you fastidiously choose the place to fly.
Winner: DJI Mini 2 SE
Whereas each drones are marketed to supply greater than half-hour of flight time, you will have a greater likelihood of getting at the very least 20 minutes with the DJI Mini 2 SE than with the DJI Spark.
Most customers reported getting 12 to 16 minutes. Moreover, most batteries you will get are outdated, extensively used, and never that steady as a consequence of utilization.
The DJI Mini 2 SE is a a lot newer launch, so getting new batteries is simple to do.
Winner: Relies upon
The DJI Spark barely wins out on this class as a result of it means that you can management it in two methods: the controller and the smartphone.
In case you are searching for a straightforward and cheaper approach to make use of the Spark, utilizing a smartphone is an effective choice. All you want is the DJI GO app, and you should have entry to the controls proper there on the app.
Nevertheless, utilizing your smartphone limits the working vary and transmission high quality. The controller comes at an additional price however permits an extended vary and higher transmission.
The DJI Spark can be suitable with DJI Goggles, the primary FPV goggles from DJI. Nevertheless, these are additionally discontinued, and you might not simply be capable to get used ones which can be in good working situation.
The DJI Mini SE makes use of the RC-N1 controller, an ordinary controller that you’ll discover for the Mavic, Air, and Mini drones. It’s simple to make use of, wants a smartphone, and though there may be the RC-N2, the RC-N1 isn’t discontinued.
The DJI Mini 2 SE additionally makes use of the DJI Fly app, which is way simpler to make use of.
Don’t get me unsuitable, the DJI GO app provides extra management choices, but it surely was typically too sophisticated for DJI Spark customers, and issues would have been easier if it got here with the DJI Fly app.
The DJI Spark appears interesting in case you are searching for a drone with completely different management strategies. Nonetheless, I select stability and higher connection, and I’ve no subject attaching a smartphone to the controller.
That’s why I’d nonetheless go for the DJI Mini 2 SE.
Winner: DJI Spark
In case you’d like the choice to pick out your drone’s shade, the DJI Spark is available in completely different colours, together with Alpine White, Lava Pink, Meadow Inexperienced, Skyblue, and Dawn Yellow.
DJI now not does this, and most of their later drones solely are available grey. You’ll be able to customise the Mini 2 SE with stickers or skins in order for you, however they won’t be from DJI.
The Mini 2 SE, with its higher transmission, increased filming decision, foldable design, and improved battery efficiency, outshines the DJI Spark in virtually each facet.
For customers in search of a dependable entry-level drone with fashionable options, the DJI Mini 2 SE is a transparent alternative.
Its sub-250-gram weight exempts it from sure rules, making it a wonderful choice for freshmen and fans alike.
The Mini 2 SE’s clever flight modes, 3-axis gimbal for steady footage, and prolonged vary through OcuSync 2.0 contribute to an excellent aerial expertise.
DJI Spark has carved its place in historical past as an modern and compact drone, and it was an excellent drone at the moment. Nonetheless, its ageing know-how and limitations in transmission and backbone make it much less aggressive in right now’s drone panorama.