The Mini 2 SE is DJI’s most beginner-friendly Mini entry so far, that includes single-tap launchings and landings, over half-hour of flight time, and Clever Flight Options catered towards learners.
As you start digging deeper into this drone, you’ll get the itch to load your footage into modifying software program to start your post-production work.
The query turns into – what software program do you have to use for the job? Is what DJI offers adequate, or do you have to dig deeper?
I like to recommend digging deeper! This information will introduce you to my favourite post-production software program choices and instruments that I at all times maintain helpful for getting simply the suitable results on my drone footage.
DJI Mini 2 SE digicam – How good is it?
However first, let’s have a short chat concerning the Mini 2 SE’s digicam.
DJI outfitted this low-cost entry into the Mini collection with a 1/2.3-inch digicam with a CMOS sensor. Its max video decision is 2.7K, and its max picture decision is 12 MP.
Yeah, it’s not nice, however you need to cease and take into consideration a few factors first.
A type of is that the DJI Mini 2 SE is a continuation of the Mini 2 line. It’s not imagined to be the subsequent Mini 3 Professional or Mini 4 Professional, which boast 48 MP picture high quality every.
Second, the Mini 2 SE is a low-cost drone. If it had a greater digicam, it wouldn’t be. And that brings me to my third level: this can be a newbie drone. Freshmen don’t fairly thoughts the standard that a lot.
As soon as you chop your enamel flying the Mini 2 SE, it’s solely then that you simply begin to care concerning the high quality.
Luckily, when you’re saving up for a Mini 3 Professional or one other DJI drone (or perhaps even a non-DJI drone, who am I to say?), you possibly can pretend the standard of the Mini 2 SE with modifying software program.
Greatest picture modifying software program for DJI Mini 2 SE
Are you able to get to work? Listed here are my prime photo-editing instruments for the Mini 2 SE.
In case you ask me, Adobe is the cream of the crop in terms of picture modifying. Lightroom is one in all its handiest apps. You need to use the desktop model in your laptop computer or work laptop, or take it on the go in your cellphone or pill.
I really like the Lightroom app. It can actually assist you probably have challenge deadlines, as you possibly can ship your photographs out of your drone to your cellphone, then start modifying with out having to depart the jobsite.
Listed here are another nice options and benefits of Lightroom:
- Take away what you don’t need: You may’t management your setting to the letter when taking drone images, however Lightroom makes it appear like you possibly can. You may edit out any imperfections and other people or objects you don’t need in your picture.
- AI modifying: Guide effort? Not right here! Lightroom has AI-driven presets that allow you to edit brightness, shade saturation, cinematics, and many extra.
- Masking: The masks function you’re used to in laptop editions of Adobe software program is obtainable within the Lightroom app, permitting you to supply skilled footage irrespective of the place your adventures take you.
- Save initiatives throughout units: Adobe understands the typical particular person is busier than ever, therefore why you can begin a challenge on the app, then choose it up on the Lightroom web site or laptop app, and vice-versa!
The one draw back is Lightroom is sort of costly, and the desktop model is much more sophisticated.
Adobe Photoshop/Photoshop Specific
Photoshop is the penultimate photo-editing software program, however it’s not confined to your laptop computer or desktop laptop anymore! You may and will take Photoshop with you in all places you go in your drone jobs with Photoshop Specific.
Full disclosure: I’ve been utilizing Photoshop Specific quite a bit longer than the cellular model of Lightroom. It’s my go-to after I need my images to look polished, modern, and social media-ready in a few minutes.
Listed here are its standout options:
- Simpler to make use of than the desktop model: I like the desktop model of Photoshop too, however I’ll be the primary to confess that it’s quite a bit. The cellular model is much more streamlined, solely offering the instruments you want.
- Search: Are you in search of a particular instrument inside Photoshop Specific? You may seek for it within the app, which I believe is superior.
- Fast actions: In case you’re quick on time, the fast actions function will assist. Photoshop Specific can easy pores and skin, repair saturation, or edit every other aspect of your drone images with this function.
- Saved kinds: When you discover a picture model you like, it can save you it and use it anytime on different images.
- Textual content: I additionally love how one can add textual content and templates to your images, kind of like what Canva enables you to do, however with out having to make use of Canva.
Nonetheless, you need to pay Adobe costs to make use of Photoshop and Photoshop Specific.
The forever-free GNU modifying instrument GIMP works for Home windows, Mac, and Linux, so you possibly can choose your poison and nonetheless use this software program. It’s up to date continuously, so you possibly can stay assured you might have the newest modifying instruments at your fingertips.
Listed here are a few of its plusses:
- Programming help: If you realize frequent program languages like Scheme, Python, Perl, C++, or C, you possibly can configure the skeleton of this modifying program.
- Nice colours: Incorporate the sort of higher-end colours you’ve seen in different DJI drone cameras inside GIMP. You may sort of pretend it till you make it, with out paying a cent.
- Suitable with different instruments: In case you already use Inkscape or Scribus, GIMP performs properly with each these instruments.
Whereas GIMP is probably not fairly as strong as among the different picture modifying instruments on this part, it’s nice for what it’s, and that’s free. Nonetheless, you possibly can’t apply it to cellular units.
Whereas GIMP often is the best-known free photo-editing software program, it’s not the one one. Snapseed is one other no-cost choice for iPad, iPhone, and Android units. I’ve personally tried it on iPhone and iPad, and it’s stellar.
Let’s assessment what caught my eye about this app:
- RAW modifying: The Mini 2 SE can shoot in RAW, however not each picture editor has the capability to take care of these information. Snapseed does. It can save you the information in JPG format, however I discover it’s higher to avoid wasting them as RAW information after modifying to retain the total breadth of element.
- Many filters and instruments: With nearly 30 choices to select from, you received’t thoughts that you may’t use Snapseed on a pc. A few of my favourite instruments are rotate, crop, white steadiness, and lens blur.
- Textual content: Sure, that’s proper, you don’t want Photoshop Specific if you would like textual content in your drone photographs. Snapseed has nearly 40 textual content kinds to pick from, and all free of charge.
Nonetheless, the app high quality is inferior to it was years in the past, again within the late 2010s. It’s nonetheless usable at the moment, however to not the identical extent.
I haven’t performed round with Luminar Neo as a lot as the opposite instruments, however from the few hours I’ve spent with it, I actually prefer it. It has nice potential, particularly if you would like a desktop instrument that’s not an Adobe product.
That mentioned, Neo works as a plug-in for Lightroom and Photoshop, so if you have already got these Adobe instruments and need to take them to the subsequent degree, you’ve discovered your answer.
Listed here are some options:
- A number of presets directly: As soon as you discover your favourite presets, you don’t must commit them to reminiscence to make use of them once more. Neo will save your presets and apply them to the subsequent batch of drone images you add.
- AI capabilities: A lot of what Neo can do is AI-driven, from Improve to Relight, Sky, GenSwap, GenExpand, and GenErase. These options take all of the guesswork and day out of modifying, making use of adjustments mechanically. You may tweak any edit you need, after all.
- Easy interface: I hate if you open a brand new photo-editing program and are bombarded with 7,000 menus. Luminar Neo retains it straightforward to work with, making it sooner to study.
- At all times upgrading: Neo by no means stays the identical. Behind the scenes, Luminar works tirelessly to enhance this software program for a greater consumer expertise.
Greatest video modifying software program for DJI Mini 2 SE
What in the event you use the Mini 2 SE extra for movies than you do images? Don’t fear; listed here are your advisable modifying instruments from yours actually.
You don’t must go far for this primary one, as DJI LightCut comes along with your Mini 2 SE. This official video-editing instrument is designed to additional facilitate the easy-for-beginners expertise of utilizing the Mini 2 SE.
Right here’s how:
- One-Faucet Enhancing: LightCut gives One-Faucet Enhancing utilizing AI to enhance your video high quality. All you need to do is save and share.
- Video previews: By no means surprise how your footage will look earlier than you put it aside when you possibly can preview what you’re recording inside LightCut.
- AI highlights: AI expertise determines what your most highlight-worthy moments are and can even choose the template that makes your footage shine.
Are you a Mac consumer like I’m? Then you definitely solely must open your Launchpad to discover a preinstalled video editor, iMovie.
iMovie isn’t just for computer systems anymore. You can too obtain it for cellular and take your initiatives in your iPad or iPhone. The app is appropriate with Closing Reduce Professional and is at all times updating to make enhancements.
Listed here are the options included with iMovie that make it wonderful for modifying Mini 2 SE footage:
- It’s free: Sure, that’s proper, you received’t pay a cent for iMovie, even when you need to obtain it to a cellular gadget.
- Themes and filters: Transfer over, LightCut. iMovie has themes galore, and you too can pair them with filters. Select from 13 various filters and nearly 10 themes that embrace music, transitions, and titles.
- Cinematic Mode: Make your footage extra in-depth with Cinematic Mode, which lets you toggle the depth of discipline and focus factors.
- Animations and backgrounds: Incorporate patterned or gradient backgrounds and choose greater than 10 enjoyable Apple-designed animations on your drone movies.
- Able to transition between units: Ship your half-finished drone video between your pill, laptop, and cellphone with iCloud Drive or Airdrop so you possibly can choose up the place you left off and end later.
One draw back of iMovie is it doesn’t work for non-Apple units.
How about one other free answer so as to add to your repertoire? That’s why I really like DaVinci Resolve as a lot as I do. Effectively, it’s a part of the rationale I find it irresistible. I imply, it’s been used to make Marvel motion pictures, which says sufficient in the event you ask me.
Listed here are another advantages of this selection on your Mini 2 SE video modifying:
- Easy however efficient cuts and edits: The drag-and-drop performance makes it straightforward to implement the edits you need in what in any other case appears like an advanced instrument. You may even add keyboard shortcuts to avoid wasting you time throughout your subsequent spherical in put up.
- Superb shade: Wow, is the colour web page the most effective I’ve seen in any modifying software program. There’s a motive Hollywood administrators select Resolve for modifying the subsequent blockbusters, and the colour web page is actually one in all them. You may customise a lot, akin to the colour curves and HDR shade wheels, to get simply the suitable hue that units the temper of your drone video.
- Fairlight Audio Core: Throw in booming explosions, loud music, and dramatic whooshing sounds with Fairlight Audio Core, which helps as much as 2,000 simultaneous audio tracks.
- Publish nearly wherever: While you end, you possibly can ship your movies to social media platforms like Twitter and YouTube, and even Vimeo.
Whereas Resolve has many wonderful options, DaVinci Resolve Studio is the paid model that may allow you to maximize what you are able to do on this software program.
Adobe Premiere Parts
I really like Adobe, even when it’s pricey. I don’t thoughts shelling out to get wonderful modifying instruments, together with the abovementioned picture choices and Premiere Parts for video.
This on-the-go app makes modifying movies extra easy than ever earlier than, shortening your time in put up. I used to be amazed by what it may do with options like:
- Adobe Sensei AI: One of the best of AI and machine studying come collectively in Adobe Sensei AI, a function that may automate highlights and different components of your video modifying for you.
- Guided Edits: A bit extra hands-on however nonetheless not requiring an excessive amount of of your effort, Guided Edits take you step-by-step, implementing options like animations, cinematics, results, and small edits. I really like this function after I don’t know the place to start!
- Auto backups: I hate after I don’t bear in mind to avoid wasting a video, and I’m positive you’re the identical. Luckily, Adobe Premiere Parts has auto-backup and sorting. You need to use the latter function to seek for any video in your assortment.
- No extra graininess: Uh-oh, was the lighting at your final drone shoot worse than you thought, and now your video got here out all grainy? You don’t must discard your footage. Adobe Premiere Parts is superior at eradicating graininess with out sacrificing shade or element.
Adobe Premiere Parts is a tad tough to study at first, however much less so in the event you’ve used different Adobe software program. You may typically purchase it in a package deal take care of Photoshop Parts so that you’re all set when flying the Mini 2 SE.
Suggestions for modifying drone footage from DJI Mini 2 SE
You’ve chosen your picture and video modifying instruments of selection, so now it’s time to get to work. Listed here are some pointers that may allow you to make it occur.
Reap the benefits of tutorials
Most video and picture modifying software program choices in the marketplace have tutorials. They exist that will help you, so ensure you use them!
If the introductory tutorials don’t do sufficient to enlighten you, try YouTube movies from actual customers (or from the modifying instrument’s channel).
I do know for me, typically seeing issues in motion might help. In case you’re the identical method, strive that tip!
Use the undo button
The undo button exists for a motive – that will help you in the event you make a mistake. And belief me, at first, if you’re studying how the whole lot works, you will make a mistake. You’ll click on or faucet on one thing, having no concept what you modified, however being keen to alter it again.
Discover the undo button, study it, and find it irresistible.
You may consider modifying drone footage as slicing your individual hair (or another person’s if the considered trimming your individual is just too scary). You may at all times lower extra, however you possibly can’t put again what you took away.
Effectively, besides that in modifying, you possibly can put again what you took away. The one downside is, it’s often so time-consuming that you simply won’t need to do it in any respect. Then you need to revert to an earlier save, and it turns right into a catastrophe.
Fairly than go whole-hog into any modifying instrument, apply a lightweight contact. You may at all times ramp that slider up additional if you’ll want to.
Save separate variations
Save usually when modifying, however don’t maintain saving over the identical file repeatedly.
Generally, when you shut it out, you haven’t any method of going again and seeing the edit historical past or reverting to any previous variations.
Saving a couple of variations of the identical picture or video enables you to evaluate your progress. In case you don’t like the ultimate model of how one thing turned out, you possibly can hint again to the place you final preferred the progress, then proper your wrongs from there.
Select your file format fastidiously
With so many file codecs to pick from, how do you select?
I like to recommend preserving picture and video high quality and readability above all else. Meaning avoiding picture information like JPG in the event you might help it.
Clearly, RAW information are greatest, and for the reason that Mini 2 SE helps them, it’s price modifying and saving in that format.
On the very least, use PNGs.
As for movies, MPVs are the bottom high quality, whereas MOV and AVCHD are the perfect.
Right here’s the factor about good high quality footage. It takes up much more area than your common file, so do your self a favor and spend money on SD playing cards.