FPV drones mix high-speed flying with speedy route modifications. A key drone configuration resolution is the propeller spin route, often called “Props In” and “Props Out.” Understanding these configurations can considerably impression your flying expertise. This text discusses the professionals and cons of every.
What’s “Props In” and “Props Out”?
Props in (also called “commonplace” rotation): That is the extra conventional configuration the place the propellers on the entrance left and rear proper spin clockwise, and the propellers on the entrance proper and rear left spin counterclockwise. It’s the default in most flight controller software program. And since entrance props spin in direction of the lens, it’s additionally referred to as “props in”.
Props out (also called “reverse” rotation): On this setup, the rotations of all of the propellers are reversed – the entrance proper and rear left propellers spin clockwise, whereas the entrance left and rear proper spin counterclockwise. Because the entrance props spin away from the digicam lens, It’s also called “props out”.
Which Is Higher?
Each configurations will take your quad to the sky simply positive, no configuration is inherently superior. However understanding the advantages and drawbacks of every configuration will provide help to make an knowledgeable resolution.
Props in Professionals:
- Familiarity: Many pilots discover this setup extra intuitive, because it’s the standard and default configuration utilized in most drones and flight controller software program.
Props in Cons:
- Particles on Lens: There’s a better likelihood of particles being thrown in direction of the digicam lens, which makes the lens soiled over time
- Prop Wash: Props in configuration can typically result in extra prop wash, the place the drone flies into its personal turbulent air, probably affecting stability.
Props Out Professionals:
- Enhanced Management: The reverse rotation can present higher management, particularly in tight turns. The profit and impact is particularly noticeable for smaller quadcopters, like tiny whoops and different micro quads with low toque motors.
- Much less Obstruction: Decrease likelihood of obstruction by branches and racing gates, as it might simply bounce off obstacles in collisions.
Props Out Cons:
- Particles on FC/ESC stack: There’s a better likelihood of particles and grime being thrown in direction of the FC stack
- Adjustment Interval: Pilots accustomed to the usual rotation might require time to adapt to the props out configuration.
- Turtle Mode Concern: Whenever you use turtle mode, the props runs the wrong way if you end up up aspect down, and so that you usually tend to get your lens soiled.
Making the Alternative
The choice is dependent upon private choice and necessities.
For tiny whoops and micro quads, props out is really useful.
For something bigger than 3″, like a 5″, I’m joyful to simply run the default props in as a result of the advantages in flight traits are much less noticeable. And I don’t need to continuously remind myself to re-configure the drone after updating Betaflight. Nonetheless different minor advantages nonetheless stay true similar to much less grime will get thrown on the lens and fewer prone to get obstructed by branches and racing gates.
In case your drone largely hovers on the similar spot, like a DJI Mavic does, then props in or props out make little distinction.
Nonetheless, should you encounter unusual flight behaviour and points, particularly in cinewhoops, it’s value experimenting with each props in and props out configurations, this typically is the repair.
Tips on how to Reverse Motor Rotation
By default, Betaflight runs “props in”. Some BNF (bind and fly) prebuilt drones would possibly come pre-configured as props out within the manufacturing unit.
To configure your drone to run “props out”, it’s essential to go to Betaflight Configurator, Configurations, underneath Mixer, allow “Motor route is reversed”.
Then comply with this tutorial to reverse the motor spin route: https://oscarliang.com/change-motor-spin-direction-quadcopter/
Whether or not you select props in or props out, understanding the implications of every setup is essential to optimizing your FPV drone’s efficiency. Each configurations have their deserves and might be efficient in numerous situations. Finally, it’s about discovering the stability that works greatest to your model and wishes.
Edit Historical past
- Jun 2017 – Article revealed
- Could 2019 – Up to date information
- Jan 2024 – Up to date information