The Cisco Substation Automation answer allows utilities to assist new enterprise fashions, increase capability, combine renewable vitality sources, cut back operational prices, cut back dangers to grid operations, and meet regulatory necessities. The answer helps extra than simply the core supervisory management and information acquisition (SCADA) methods, including key use circumstances involving safety of key property and energy administration. Its expertise upgrades and community administration capabilities cut back operational prices by decreasing the community footprint and automating key duties. The community infrastructure can assist extra gadgets and deal with extra bandwidth with extra resiliency and new capabilities for the community, similar to time synchronization and internet hosting functions. The Substation Automation answer builds on the visibility and safety of our Grid Safety answer to fulfill the wants of a variety of transmission and distribution substations. The up to date answer helps utilities overcome the next enterprise and operational challenges:
- Rising variety of course of and station bus gadgets driving increased bandwidth necessities
- Restricted area and energy in substations for tools
- Want to scale back cybersecurity dangers by offering visibility into and segmentation of substation gadgets and visitors flows.
- Lack of networking expertise in grid operations groups
- Necessities to Combine and monitor legacy gadgets
- Regulatory necessities, particularly NERC-CIP and NIS2
- Have to scale to assist extra substations
The Substation Automation answer helps utilities overcome these challenges and lays the muse for extra dependable, sustainable, environment friendly grid operations at a decrease price. Key options of this answer embrace:
- Extra ports and sooner speeds: Introduction of the IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 compliant Cisco Catalyst IE9300 Rugged Collection Switches with 28 Gigabit Ethernet fiber ports for safe, dependable, low-latency station and course of bus communication
- Increased port density by way of stackable switching
- Higher reliability: Assist for a spread of resiliency and synchronization protocols
- Multifunctional router: Introduction of IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 substation licensed Cisco Catalyst IR8340 Rugged Collection Router and Cisco Catalyst IR1100 Rugged Collection Routers for a mix of scalable WAN connectivity, firewall safety, and utility internet hosting
- Reliability: Assist for a spread of resiliency and synchronization protocols
- Higher safety: Allow extremely safe WAN with superior firewalling, URL filtering, intrusion prevention (IDS/IPS), malware safety, IPsec/MACsec encryption, and DNS safety. Implement community entry management utilizing Cisco Trustsec and IEEE 802.1x. Acquire visibility of substation property, their communication actions and your safety posture with Cisco Cyber Imaginative and prescient. Management distant entry into property with Cisco Safe Tools Entry. All constructed into Cisco networking tools which have safe boot, signed firmware, and SUDI.
- Flexibility: Extremely modular platforms to assist switching, routing, synchronization, and edge compute wants
- Availability: Assist for IEC62439-3 lossless community topologies and protocols (similar to Excessive-Availability Seamless Redundancy [HSR] and Parallel Redundancy Protocol [PRP])
- Precision: Assist for substation-wide time synchronization (for instance, the 2017 IEEE Precision Time Protocol – Energy Profile or IEC61850-9-3 PUP)
- Important capabilities: Assist for substation communications similar to IEC 61850, Modbus, IEC 60870-5-104 (IEC 104) and Distributed Community Protocol 3 (DNP3)
- Simplicity: Vary of administration choices, together with Cisco Catalyst Heart for substation switching and Cisco SD-WAN Supervisor for SD-WAN routing capabilities
Evolution to phase routing and Ethernet VPN (EVPN) for substation WAN connectivity
Previous to phase routing, multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) packets had been forwarded utilizing label switching as an alternative of IP-based routing, which suggests the routers forwarded visitors based mostly on the label and never the vacation spot tackle. This required solely the “edge” routers to carry out an IP lookup, whereas intermediate “core” routers carried out solely a label lookup.
Sadly, MPLS didn’t take away complexity from an present community. In actual fact, it added extra complexity via extra protocols and every MPLS node requiring the state to be synchronized throughout your complete community. As the scale of networks grew, so did the state and complexity, making it tougher to function and handle.
Section routing depends on a small variety of extensions to Cisco Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS) and Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) protocols. It could actually function with an MPLS or an IPv6 information airplane, and it integrates with the wealthy multi service capabilities of MPLS, together with Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN), Digital Non-public Wire Service (VPWS), Digital Non-public LAN Service (VPLS), and EVPN.
Section routing will be straight utilized to the MPLS architectures with no change within the forwarding airplane. Section routing makes use of the community bandwidth extra successfully than conventional MPLS networks and presents decrease latency.
EVPN is the subsequent era L2VPN expertise, it gives layer-2 in addition to layer-3 VPN companies in a scalable and simplified method. The evolution of EVPN began as a result of want of a scalable answer to bridge numerous layer-2 domains and overcome the constraints confronted by VPLS similar to scalability, multi-homing, and per-flow load balancing.
Use circumstances thought-about within the new Cisco Validated Designs
Now we have 3 classes of companies to contemplate for the transport community:
- Layer 3 IP based mostly Substation to Datacenter: IP based mostly Scada information, IP based mostly CCTV, enterprise information and IP telephony.
- Layer 2 Non routable Substation to Substation: Layer 2 ethernet based mostly multicast protocols (similar to IEC61850 GOOSE & SV), Digital machine migrations (for virtualised functions) and third get together Scada visitors.
- Layer 2 Substation to Substation for Conventional Teleprotection: Energy Safety companies, that are low latency level to level utilizing particular utility protocols and strict engineered paths throughout the community.
Cisco companions with Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories to supply the Teleprotection companies and interfaces inside the substation, that are by way of the SEL ICON platform. This platform gives the interfaces required for substation safety gadgets whereas offering an Ethernet based mostly uplink to the Cisco Converged Transport community (NCS). SEL experience in grid automation is coupled with Cisco’s Industrial substation and converged transport community merchandise gives a better of breed finish to finish answer.